Monday, January 9, 2012

Pizza anyone?

I am a big fan of sloppy, topping loaded, extra cheesy pizza. I'm sure you can picture it: thin crust, topping and grease dripping off, long strings of cheese... I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it. Mmm... so good! Anyway, that kind of pizza is not at all good for you. I believe my dad would call something like that "heart attack on a plate." All that cheese, grease, and meat toppings... there I go again, getting off track.

There are fun and healthy alternatives to this yummy pile of toppings. I've tried to play with my food to keep amazing flavors and make it healthier. I think I've found some winners.While I will share some favorite recipes with you, you should know, my all time favorite pizzas have been simply thrown together with no plan.

I like using spinach, flax seed or other whole grain wraps instead of pizza dough, but you can certainly find a recipe that suits you. The wraps are healthy, and low in calories, and give me that thin crust that I like so much. My toppings and sauces vary, but I always put a layer of fresh spinach over whatever sauce I use, and under my cheese. I like a  thick layer of spinach because it not only adds some substance to the pizza, but it adds flavor and nutrition.

Cheese, or as my mother would say, "Behold." (I'm sure you remember those 'Behold the power of cheese.' commercials.) Choose quality cheese that will add lots of flavor (and calcium and protein) with very little used.  Personally, I don't eat a whole lot of dairy anymore, I just don't like the way I feel when I eat too much, so instead of real cheese, I use Veggie Shreds. I can pile it on and not worry so much about fat content.

Spinach, pineapple, green pepper, and lite tomato sauce.
Pineapple, spinach, lite tomato sauce, and Veggie Shreds
before hitting the oven.
Speaking of vegies, pile 'em high! Be creative and mix 'em up. Heck, add some fruit too, while you're at it. My favorite is pineapple and spinach. YUM!

I don't want to give up my meat, so I have made healthier choices about what I put on my pizza. Have you tried chicken sausage yet? You have got to try this stuff! It is available in a variety of yummy flavor options. You can really go to town on your pizza with Chipotle Chorizo with Mango and Adobo or  Spinach and Feta, or even buffalo style. Go check out http://www.alfrescoallnatural.com/dinner-fully-cooked-chicken-sausage.aspx for more options. Trust me, once you try this stuff, you'll love it!

Want different yummy recipes? Check out these websites. You're sure to find something to please everyone in your family.

  • http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/healthy-pizza-recipes-10000001827898/
  • http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_pizza_recipes
  • http://www.healthypizza-recipes.com/
  • http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/healthy-pizza-recipes-00412000072965/
  • http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20419726,00.html
My final words: Use fresh ingredients. Spinach on everything. Full flavor or veggie cheese. Low fat meats, such as chicken sausage. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Like I said, "Behold!"

    I'll have to try some of these. They sound yummy.

    One word of caution. I love chicken sausage, but many of them are loaded with sodium. Can you say fat fingers and ankles/

    ReplyDelete