Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Dry Skin; Part Two: Hydration

Before I begin, let me just remind you that I am merely sharing what I have read in various reliable places on the internet. I am not a nutritionist, doctor, or expert of any kind. 

According to SmartSkinCare.com “Moisturizing from the inside means keeping the body well hydrated. When dehydrated, the body preserves the water supply to critical organs, such as the brain and the heart, but “cuts off water” to peripheral organs such as skin. Therefore, keeping the body well hydrated is an important part of keeping your skin well moisturized. Adequate fluid intake is key. However, just as important is to avoid foods and beverages that cause excess water loss."

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a nut when it comes to preaching hydration. I have seen my daughter at a year old admitted into the pediatric unit of a hospital because she was so sick she became dehydrated. I have been given IV fluids on the side of the road during a charity walk (Thank you, Nurse Frankie!) because I had a stomach bug and didn't take in enough fluids. While these are extreme cases of dehydration, when you get chapped lips or dry skin, you are likely not getting enough water in your diet. Isn't dry skin what we are trying to avoid? Of course it is.

Over the years there has been a lot of talk about how much water a person is supposed to drink daily. We've heard eight glasses a day, drink when you're thirsty, drink before you get thirsty... no wonder we're so confused about it. About.com has even created a hydration calculator to help its readers determine how much water to take in daily. You can find it at http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm.



I can't give anymore of a definitive answer, especially since I'm not a nutritionist or doctor. What I can say, based on what I've read, is that if you are thirsty, you're dehydrating, so go drink some water.

Now to the point: what will hydration do for your skin? Hydrated skin will "snap back" quicker, can make you look more youthful, and can appear more soft and glowing. Now who doesn't want all that?

In addition to hydrating from the outside, it is also important to hydrate skin from the outside. Check back for Dry Skin; Part Three: Moisturizers.

No comments:

Post a Comment