Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dry Skin; Part Three: Moisturizers

Hydrating from the inside is just as important for your skin as hydrating from the inside. It's key to lock in the moisture, create a barrier.

So just who should moisturize? Everyone. It doesn't matter your skin type, your need to protect your skin. I know what you're thinking, "but, I have oily skin, I don't want to make it worse." Oily skin does not mean you have hydrated skin.  I think That Cool Broad said it perfectly, "When your skin is dry, your glands produce more oil to coat and protect it. So if you have oily skin and refrain from moisturizing, you could be making the situation worse. The glands will work harder to produce more oil, which will result in more shine. By moisturizing your skin every day, you are protecting your skin and minimizing oil secretion." (http://www.thatcoolbroad.com/2008/03/31/beautiful-skin-part-2-hydration)

Moisturizing will make skin look plumper, healthier and smoother, and if we're lucky younger. It's said that when skin is moisturized properly it tends to age slower than skin that isn't moisturized on a regular basis. "Also, as we age, our skin becomes less effective at regulating the skin’s water balance, so it becomes even more important to include moisturization in our daily routine." (http://www.thatcoolbroad.com/2008/03/31/beautiful-skin-part-2-hydration)

There are a few things to remember before you starting pouring on the moisturizer:
  1. Know your skin type. Choosing the right moisturizer will ensure you get the best results.
  2. Make sure you choose a moisturizer with sunscreen. Protecting your skin, especially the skin on your face, will help slow drying and aging. 
  3. Don't forget to exfoliate your skin a few times a month. It is important to remove the dry, flaky outer layers of skin. 
  4. Choose moisturizers that contain natural oils. (I like cocoa butter, but jojoba and avocado work well too.) Natural oils will create that barrier I mentioned earlier, helping your skin maintain hydration.
  5. Moisturize regularly throughout the day will ensure you keep that barrier in place.
  6. The best time to use moisturizer is while your skin is damp. The moisture from showering or washing your hands will be locked in.
I started to smooth on a fragrance free moisturizer everyday when I started to write this series a few days ago. I've already noticed the difference. My skin is softer and I feel better "wearing" it.  Give it a try and see if you feel a difference.

3 comments:

  1. I can vouch for facial moisturizing ("Your kids are HOW old?"). But body moisturizing? Nah, not so much. I drink tons of water, take luke warm showers, slather on grease, and the result? Can you say Sahara?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you had too much sun as a child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, it's because I didn't have too much sun that people are still surprised I have such "old" children. ;-)

    What I had too much of is time.

    ReplyDelete